Tuesday 27 May 2014

Take Time.......



Texture Tuesday..... 'Take time to love the little things in life'
Kim Klassen's textures 'waterfront18' and 'februarymagicedges'.





Brian and I went for a walk yesterday along a path that was a sea of cow parsley.......
(photo looks a bit like the parting of the sea ;-)
 Such a pretty, underestimated flower......


When we got back the Abel and Cole delivery had arrived and in it there was a gorgeous bunch of young asparagus (Brian's favourite)......



.......just the inspiration I needed for cooking dinner.  Luckily I already had the other ingredients.
I put this photo of the ingredients on my FB page yesterday and promised I'd add the recipe to my blog today....... (taken on iPad with Hipstagram app).

Pea, Mint and Asparagus Risotto (for two)
1. Fry a small finely chopped onion (or a shallot) in some olive oil (I use a large frying pan for this).
2. When it starts to go transparent, add 130g of risotto (arborio) rice and fry it gently for a couple of mins with the onion.
3. Cut up the asparagus into 1cm pieces and cook in a separate pan (or microwave) with a handful of peas till tender (amounts are up to you!)
4. Add a small glass of white wine to the rice and stir. Continue stirring and adding liquid gradually (450ml approx chicken stock) for 15 to 20 mins until the rice is cooked but still nice and moist.
5. Stir in a big blob of creme fraiche.
6. Add the cooked asparagus and peas, along with some chopped mint, parsley and lemon rind. Stir.
7. Finally, grate some parmesan cheese on top.
Wonderful!

We only recently discovered risotto.....can't believe we've missed out for so long! 
(I always thought it sounded a bit yukky....sloppy rice ;-)

We also love the smoked haddock version......and chicken with lemon.
Further recommendations gratefully received!


15 comments:

Barbara said...

So pretty and wonderful processing!

Enjoy your homemade risotto. I love it especially when it's cooked by my son, he's a Chef :)

BumbleVee said...

And, I thought "sticky rice" didn't sound too appetizing til I had it in Portugal....oh, yeah........I made it often now. And, I even add more goodies to it .... we love it.

I had a curried risotto at the office Christmas party last year...it was yummy..

Anonymous said...

Love the cow parsley, it is beautiful en masse and in your photo with that blue bottle. Risotto, one of my faves, throw some shrimp in last minute and you will have a feast...(if you can eat shrimp that is.) xox

EarlK said...

Looks delicious. Love the first photo. Wonderful colors together;

Beverly said...

The risotto recipe looks so yummy! Love the cow parsley and the nice path. Such a summery post!

Beverly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Judy S. said...

Sounds yummy and makes me humgry for risotto!

Maggi said...

Love the processing. Cow parsley is one of my favourites and I'm lucky to have plenty of it in the garden. Interesting about the risotto, I've always thought sloppy rice too - must reconsider.

Lynn said...

Perfect photo for the quote on the tag , love it! I have never seen cow parsley in Canada ,reminds me of a large version of Queen Anne's Lace which I just love .
I am one of the few who don't like Risotto but I do love asparagus and peas :) glad you enjoyed it .

sewbeit said...

Loved the cow parsley. Also liked the look of the risotto recipe. One of our favs is chicken and mushroom.
Will definitely give this a go. Thanks.

Viv@Thoughts from the Desktop said...

Linda I love cow parsley it is so delicate and is great for close ups. Your supper sounds yummy....

Kim Klassen said...

oh that top photo...that quote...
cow parsley.. is new to me... it's lovely....

beautiful...and I'm hungry now... must try this recipe...

thanks for sharing lovely. xo

Nina said...

Beautiful blues and greens in your Love the Little Things! And the risotte - voila ... delicious - thank you for the recipe, Linda!

Shashi Nayagam said...

I love the cow parsley it is so delicate to look at. India where I lived we used to have similar flowers soon after the rains and we used to call them ladies lace. It could be from the same family but the look so beautiful.

Zoe Louise Hooley said...

How funny that we both wrote a blog post about our love of cow parsley, Your images are so Beautiful x

Be filled with Wonder and Peace.....and Cosiness

I hope you're managing to embrace this change of season. I'm so much better at accepting the end of summer than I used to be. I&...